Thursday, February 11, 2010

Thursday...

Made a test frame and test photo stretched over it...Now I'm really not sure what I want to do with them.

_______________

Reaction to Alec Soth...

I really really enjoyed his lecture. His work has progressed over the years through his methodology of choosing things he’s interested in and linking them to something else he can work on next, which relates back to the previous work. In the end, this gives his entire body of work a cohesion that many fine art photographers struggle for. Maybe it's not even that he's linking subject matter...I suppose its just the way he treats it.

The critique was a little disappointing because he was so burnt out...and most of the feedback was negative. Telling Nathan that he was doing something unintentionally interesting was kind of weird...as if saying "You dont really know what you're doing, but you're accidentally making interesting work." How did he know what his intentions were, and if your intentions are different from the viewer's perception, does that make you wrong...?

It was really nice to have a fine art photographer as a visiting artist...It seems like an impossible career, so I better start looking elsewhere. I have been so busy with painting and bookmaking...I have barely been able to devote as much time as I want to the things that I REALLY want to be doing...and NEED to be doing. Like shooting photographs I actually care about...and looking for jobs. And cooking myself meals. I've decided to go on a diet. I get really dirty looks when I tell people this because they're usually thirty pounds heavier than me...but seriously. No more fast food, no more soda...I have a new phobia of getting fat. Maybe I should photograph obese people and try to see the beauty in it, and get over my phobia...or maybe I should just stick with the diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment